The thing is with this parasites they will be on the sturgeon too, so not being able to treat them and then putting them back in the pond will just re infect the Koi.
I understand about the salt, and I have never put any in my pond. Only clay. Its as un treated as I suppose it can be, the only things I have used is Pp, over 12 days ago, and some FMC surpress and fluke m, in the summer.
I have a blue bowl, I told Paul to try and catch them, and I am sure he will.
I will let you know later how he gets on as for me, I am off to work. I wish I could stay at home but one of us has to be doing something.
so after watching one of my fish last night and my husband watching all of them today, I decided thatwe needed someone to come out and take a better look at our pond and fish. We had a very nice guy come out from Holmeswood Koi, and do a scrape for us, (off two of the worst flickers) and this is what he found. Chilodonella. Yet there was nothing else in there with them, at least one bit of good news.
They were mostly adult parasites, but a lot of them, at least 20 on one slide, so now at least we have identified this problem. Just to kill them…
Now the next stage treat with Machalite and formalin, but with sturgeon in the pond it will almost certainly kill them. (I am really sorry sturgeon and I hope you make it) not holding out much luck though. I think if they do die, then I wont replace them. I now really think they don’t belong in a koi pond. Mainly because you cant do anything with them, when the koi need treating.
So Paul will dose them tomorrow, over the course of an hour, and I will let you all know how we get on.
Please everyone fingers crossed that this will finally be the end of it!!!!
Still having problems with Trich, and located the source of our continued infections. Local frogs, are now mating in water… grrrr. My little chag has healed nicely even though the presence of trich is still in high numbers, and I have only seen two of my fish flicking. Still any of them rubbing is a bad sign especially as when the temp got to 14 degrees, one decided he wanted to escape them altogether and leaped 2ft in the air.
So I checked everything first, and nuked the pond with potasium permangenate. Gave them two doses as the first only lasted an hour. Sturgeon stressed out, although still survived. Used 27.2 g as our pond is just under 4000 gal. I by passed the nexus, but then couldn’t have the heating on, luckily the temp was stable during the day. it only dropped last night (sorry koi) and I am still thinking my media because of the temp drop would have suffered.
So now I would like to ask you all here, when should I pp it once again, what is the life cycle of these blighters. Do I need to do it again in 3 days or something?
Hope all is well with everyone else, i am not looking forward to the start of the season, I will have to have microscope ready and be well prepared.